my favorite recipes seem to always come from trying to make something out of ingredients i already have on hand. this generally has nothing to do not wanting to waste food and everything to do with not wanting to leave my apartment (this week’s recipe is courtesy of a rainy day and sniffles) but i guess that is nice too.
weekly bake #7: oatmeal banana chocolate chip pecan scones.
ingredients: (makes about 12 scones) 2/3 cups all-purpose flour, 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1 tablespoon baking powder, 3/4 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 1/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats, 1 1/2 sticks chilled unsalted butter, 1 cup mashed overripe bananas, 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, 1/2 cup chopped pecans (or whatever nuts you prefer), wax or parchment paper.
time: about 45 minutes
cost: $10-$15 depending on how many staples you already have on hand
soundtrack: george harrison’s all things must pass (tip from past experience: skip the first song if you are going through a break-up or just feeling especially emotionally vulnerable as you will probably end up crying on the floor while eating all 12 scones yourself.)
1. preheat your oven to 425°F.
2. sift together flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add in oats and mix to combine.
3. cut in the butter until it starts to resemble coarse meal the stop! do not mix any further!
4. add in mashed banana, chocolate chips and pecans. stir until just combined.
5. turn dough out onto lightly floured wax or parchment paper (tear off enough so that you could wrap the dough up into it). knead about 6 times. (i actually own such an absurdly large mixing bowl that i was able to do this right in there.)
6. pat into rectangle about 1 inch thick. fold paper around the rectangle and chill in the fridge for 10 minutes.
7. remove. cut the rectangle in half horizontally , then into three sections vertically so that it creates six squares, then cut each square diagonally. my brain took a time out during this step and so i did some kind of loose interpretation of this instead, pictured at right. fortunately, it turned out just fine.
8. transfer to an ungreased baking sheet. sprinkle the tops of the scones with (in this order) oats, brown sugar, smidge of butter. bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
facepalm moments: fortunately, my cuttings turned out just fine but that was a weird thing i did for no reason, huh? also, after i took a bite i immediately thought about how amazing bacon in these would be, because apparently i want to weigh 10000000 pounds, so i might try that another time. (let’s hope for waistline that it’s during marathon training season.)
on a separate note, i think it’s important to point out how impressive it is that i pulled this recipe off without a hitch despite kitty stardust doing her best to distract me with adorableness such as this: